Categories

SA: COSATU hopes to influence ANC with ‘wish list’

WARNING: This is Version 1 of my old archive, so Photos will NOT work and many links will NOT work. But you can find articles by searching on the Titles. There is a lot of information in this archive. Use the SEARCH BAR at the top right. Prior to December 2012; I was a pro-Christian type of Conservative. I was unaware of the mass of Jewish lies in history, especially the lies regarding WW2 and Hitler. So in here you will find pro-Jewish and pro-Israel material. I was definitely WRONG about the Boeremag and Janusz Walus. They were for real.

Original Post Date: 2007-10-05 Time: 00:00:00  Posted By: Jan

[Pro-Worker = Marxist/Socialist. COSATU wants to go do the road of outright communism in the next election. But Mbeki-the-Deceiver will be faking right, while really going left in other ways. Bottom line: No matter who wins, this country is going further left – either overtly or covertly. Jan]

In an unprecedented move by an alliance partner, the Congress of South African Trade Unions said on Tuesday that it would present the ANC with a list of names, which it felt were pro-worker and should form part of its new leadership.

Cosatu General Secretary Zwelinzima Vavi said, while it recognised the labour union federation had no right to nominate candidates, it hoped to influence the process.

ANC nominations open next month.

“We want to actively influence that decision. We have a class interest in who becomes that leadership, we will no longer leave things to chance – we have paid dearly for that (in the past),” he said at a media briefing.

He said the trade union federation had not yet decided how many names it would suggest, but that the list would be presented after a thorough debate at Cosatu’s central committee meeting to be held in Kempton Park next week.

Cosatu in KwaZulu-Natal has been the only structure so far that has publicly made its list known, predictably suggesting Jacob Zuma for president, in a list of 20 names for the national executive committee.

Last week, the ANC Youth League, made its top six list public, including Zuma for president, current secretary-general Kgalema Motlanthe for deputy president and South African Communist Party chairperson Gwede Mantashe for ANC secretary-general.

The Youth League has mooted Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma as chairperson, Mathews Phosa as treasurer-general and Baleka Mbete as deputy secretary-general.

It is speculated that the Cosatu list could be similar to the ANCYL’s one.

Vavi said Cosatu no longer wished to be just an “instrument” in the ANC election machinery but a member of the alliance with its own requirements.

He said Cosatu would start demanding certain policy concessions that supported workers in return for its allegiance to the alliance.

While he made it clear that Cosatu deeply loved the tripartite alliance and fully supported all efforts to unify it, he said the ANC would have to start taking its demands seriously.

“We don’t want to feel like we are just election machinery, we don’t want to feel like we are just signing a blank cheque for someone to fill in the figures later,” he said.

Vavi said Cosatu had its own “figures” it wanted to written on to that cheque and those were contained in the union’s discussion document for next week’s meeting. The “extraordinary steps” which Cosatu had taken to suggest a list of names was one of the key points in the discussion document.

He said it highlighted a number of qualities Cosatu sought in future ANC leaders, including a “commitment to a radical national democratic revolution” and a commitment to a “thorough fundamental transformation of our society.”

“Not just some changing of shares,” he said in an apparent swipe at the ANC’s leadership remaining potentially in pro-business hands, such as those of presidential hopeful Tokyo Sexwale. “Real change that is going to lead to fundamental restructuring of every aspect of our lives as workers,” he said.

    • Source: http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?art_id=vn20070912034722802C781064